The worst thing that could happen to YouTube is the disappearance of the sidebar menu. This is one of YouTube's most important features because it allows people to discover new videos to enjoy while also increasing the number of views for other content creators. The YouTube menu bar provides easy access to features such as history, subscriptions, and viral videos. However, many YouTube viewers and creators have recently complained about the YouTube sidebar not showing or not working properly. If you're having trouble similar to the issue, the YouTube team suggests refreshing the website or restarting your computer. However, although this workaround worked for some, the problem still exists for others. If that's the case on your part, you can try other solutions that we have provided for you below. We hope that this list of quick and easy ways will help you resolve your YouTube sidebar problems.
5 Methods to Fix YouTube not Showing Sidebar Issue
1. Launch YouTube in Private Browsing
Incognito Mode is a feature that protects your online privacy by preventing your browser history from being stored. When you allow Incognito Mode, all cookies that a website tries to install on your device are blocked or eliminated. There will be no sign of your browsing stored in your local search history. Many users have claimed that opening incognito mode in the browser resolved the disappearance of the suggested video on the right sidebar. Here’s the step on how to switch on incognito mode using your browser. We hope that it solves your YouTube not showing sidebar problem.
- On your browser, click on the three-dots menu button at the right-hand top and choose “New Incognito mode” (or just simply use Ctrl+Shift+N, if you're using Chrome)
- A new dark window will appear. Here, visit the YouTube site and check if the sidebar menu is now available.
2. Clear Chrome Browsing Data
When you're using a browser, such as Chrome, it stores some website data in its cache and cookies. Clearing them solves certain issues on many websites like YouTube. With that said, it could also be the other reason behind why your YouTube sidebar not showing. You can clear the YouTube cache and cookies on your Google desktop browser by following the guide we provided below.
- First, open your Google Chrome.
- Tick on Google Chrome menu that is located at the top-right corner. Then, go to the “Settings.”
- Now, scroll down to the “Privacy and security” section and navigate on “Clear browsing data.”
- Here, set the time range to “All time” and then hit on the “Clear data” blue button.
- When the clearing process is done. Please go to the YouTube page and check if the sidebar shows up now.
3. Sign-in Your YouTube Account
Another method you can do is by trying to sign in on YouTube using any Google account. Some YouTube users had the same problem and claimed that this trick worked for them. If you’ve already signed in but still YouTube not showing sidebar, please try to sign out and then sign in again.
- Go to the official YouTube site.
- Click on the “SIGN IN” icon, and a Google window will appear.
- Here, enter your email account and password. Then, click on the “Next” button.
- Check the YouTube sidebar if it’s available now.
4. Disable or Update Browser Extensions
When installing too many plugins, there are instances that they can cause the browser to crash. There are browser extensions such as MozBar that may occupy the majority of the top bar space. Thus, making it difficult to see the left sidebar on YouTube. So, I would suggest that you remove any extensions that are not necessary or not in use. It would also be best if you try updating or disabling all plugins to determine what is causing YouTube not showing sidebar.
To disable/remove extensions:
- On your Google chrome, click on the browser’s menu button. Move to “More tools,” and choose “Extensions.”
- Here, you can find a list of all the extensions that have been installed. Click "Remove" to uninstall extensions that you don't need or aren't using.
- If you only wish to disable all other extensions, just press the toggle button.
To update extensions:
- Go to the “Extensions” tab.
- At the top-right corner, enable Developer mode by clicking on its toggle button. Then, press the “Update” button. The browser will automatically update all the extensions you've installed.
- Once done, restart your browser and go to the YouTube site and check if the sidebar appears now.
5. Reset Your Browser Settings
When you've tried all of the solutions above, and none of them seem to work for you. The problem is most likely with Chrome. It could be the culprit why YouTube not showing sidebar, which can be resolved by resetting the browser.
- Go to the Chrome “Settings.” You can refer to the first two steps of the 2nd solution (Clear Chrome Browsing Data).
- Click on the “Advanced” drop-down menu button. Hover down to the “Reset and clean up” section. After that, click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults.”
- A reset settings window will appear. Here, click on the “Reset settings” button.
- Restart your browser and go to the YouTube site to check if it resolves the problem.
Download YouTube Videos - Alternative
OS Support: Windows 7/8/10 | Mac OS X 10.8 or later
It would be inconvenient if the YouTube sidebar still did not appear after exhausting all possible options. Don't be dismayed; the YouTube team is well aware of the situation. It will take some time, but they will surely fix the issue. In the meantime, you can also consider downloading the YouTube videos you want to watch while waiting until the YouTube not Showing Sidebar is solved. With that said, we present to you Acethinker Video Keeper. It is a downloader tool perfect for saving videos from different streaming platforms, including YouTube, Facebook, Dailymotion, Vimeo, and more. You can grab videos and save them quickly on your computer since the tool supports multi-thread advanced technology. If you’re wondering how to use it, we provide three easy steps below.
Try it for Free
Step 1 Install the Video Keeper
First, click the "Download" button located above that refers to your computer's operating system (Windows and Mac). Then, open the installer file and carefully follow the prompts to install the tool on your computer. Once completed, launch the software.
Step 2 Download YouTube Video
Then, go to YouTube and copy the video link you want to download. Return to Video Keeper, paste the YouTube video link into its search bar, and then press “Enter” on your keyboard. Once the link has been analyzed, click the “MP4” button to begin downloading it.
Step 3 Download YouTube Video
Go to the "Downloading" option if you want to check the progress of the video. Once done, the YouTube video will be moved to the "Downloaded" panel. From here, right-click the video, and choose "Play.”