Years ago, Android introduced its innovative Picture in Picture (PiP) feature. This functionality is available in Android 8.0 and later versions. PiP is a sort of multi-window mode that is mainly used for video playback. This feature allows users to watch a video in a small window pinned to a corner of the screen while switching between apps or browsing content on the main screen. PiP functionality is also often known as multitasking, and it is well supported by apps such as YouTube and Whatsapp. If you're using the PiP feature on your phone, the video preview will show on the screen, and the most incredible thing is that you can move it around. However, YouTube's PiP option is only available to basic users. Furthermore, there could be numerous reasons why none of the apps on your phone support PiP. If you are one of these people, this article will be helpful to you. So, without further ado, let's look at how to fix the YouTube picture in picture mode not working on your Android phone.
Reasons Why Picture in Picture YouTube not Working on Android
Before we proceed with the solutions to YouTube's picture in picture issue, let's understand why the YouTube picture in picture Android not working for is occurring in the first place. That being said, here are the reasons why.
- Due to gesture limits or regional restrictions, YouTube picture-in-picture may not operate in some Android devices. Besides, third-party launchers contributed to the issue at hand.
- The picture-in-picture feature worked for some users without any controls (no pause, no audio adjustments, etc.).
- In some cases, the picture-in-picture option in YouTube's settings was disabled.
- The PiP is a premium/YouTube Red feature or is only available in certain countries such as the United States. So make sure you are either a YouTube Red user or currently reside in a country where YouTube supports picture in picture mode.
- Furthermore, the PiP feature could not operate on some types of videos that contain copyright music.
Solutions to Fix YouTube Picture in Picture Not Working Android
Suppose the PiP mode still does not work after meeting the above conditions. In that case, you can refer to the list of solutions below to resolve the issue.
Solution 1: Restart Your Android Phone
The YouTube picture in picture mode not working could result from a temporary glitch in your phone's connectivity or application modules. So, the most common solution to eliminate the problem is by restarting your phone.
- Press and hold your phone's power button until the power menu appears, then touch "Restart" from the options.
- Once your phone has completely turned off, wait for a few seconds before turning it back on.
- Check to see if the YouTube picture-in-picture feature is working properly after restarting the phone.
Solution 2: Clear The YouTube App Cache
The YouTube app makes use of a cache to improve performance and user experience. However, if the YouTube app utilizes an outdated or damaged cache, you can experience the issue at hand. In this context, the best way to fix if your picture in picture YouTube is not working is to clear YouTube cache. You can follow the walkthroughs below on how to do so. But before that, take note that clearing the YouTube cache does not delete any data from the app; instead, it resets the YouTube settings.
- Close the YouTube app and navigate to your phone's "Settings."
- Then, go to the "Apps and Notifications."
Note: The location where you can find the list of applications installed on your device may differ based on the Android phone version you're using.
- Now, tap YouTube from the list of applications.
- Finally, go to its "Storage" section and select "Clear cache."
Solution 3: Enable The Picture-In-Picture Mode
Picture-in-picture options for YouTube can be found in two places: on your device settings and the app itself. Even though PiP is enabled by default, it can be unintentionally disabled. So, you need to verify if it is enabled or not.
Form the device settings:
- From your phone's “Settings,” navigate to “Apps & Notifications.” Then, select "Advanced."
- In the “Advanced” section, tap on "Special app access," followed by "Picture-in-picture."
- Tap on YouTube and enable the "Allow picture-in-picture" option.
From the YouTube app:
- Open the app and tap the profile avatar icon.
- Head on to the "Settings," then "General."
- Check to see if the toggle next to Picture-in-picture is turned on or off. If it's turned off, enable it.
Solution 4: Update The YouTube Application
The YouTube app is updated on a regular basis to provide new features and repair issues. If the picture in picture not working for YouTube on your device, you are more likely running an older version of the app. You can fix the problem by updating your YouTube app to its latest version from your Google Play store.
on your device.
Solution 5: Change the Location in YouTube’s Settings
As stated above, PiP is a YouTube subscription feature or only available in certain regions, like the USA. If your region in YouTube's settings is set to a country where YouTube does not allow the picture-in-picture functionality, you can encounter the problem. Setting the region where YouTube supports the picture in picture mode can solve the problem in this situation.
- Launch the YouTube app and tap on the user profile icon located at the top right hand of the screen.
- After that, go to "Settings" and select "General."
- Now, tap on "Location." Then, from the list of countries, change the location to a country where YouTube supports picture in picture.
- Finally, restart your phone and check to see whether the problem has been solved.
Solution 6: Use a Mobile Browser
If none of the solutions has worked, it is possible that your phone does not support the function or that the YouTube application itself is the one causing the problem. In this case, you can use your phone's Chrome browser to achieve the PiP functionality. To do so, see the guide below.
- Launch your Chrome browser and use it to visit the official YouTube site.
- Once you're on the YouTube site, tap on the three dots menu icon on your browser. Then, enable the "Desktop site" option.
- Now, search the video you want to play and tap on the full-screen icon to go in full-screen mode.
- Once the YouTube video starts playing in a full-screen mode, tap on the Home button.
- Like the picture-in-picture mode on the YouTube app, the YouTube video will begin playing outside the browser.
Solution 7: Switch to Another YouTube Account
It is possible that the picture in picture YouTube is not working because of a temporary problem with your Gmail account. Still, you can solve it by switching to another YouTube account. To do so, open the YouTube app > go to the User Profile Icon > Switch Account > tap on Another account. Now restart the YouTube app to test whether you can utilize PIP mode on YouTube as usual.