With millions of daily active users, YouTube is one of the world's largest video sharing and social platforms. As for Mac users, Safari is preferred over other browsers due to its superior system integration with Apple's environment and privacy functionality. Safari is a capable browser that can accommodate anything you throw at it, even YouTube video playback. However, there are occasions when users report that YouTube does not work on Safari. If you encounter this issue, there could be a problem with the YouTube application, Safari browser, or the Mac itself. To resolve this kind of problem, you must first figure out why YouTube is not playing on your Mac browser and fix it accordingly. Although, determining the root cause of a problem is very difficult. But the good thing is that whatever is causing it, there are ways to fix it.
Check if YouTube Is Down
If the issue is with YouTube's servers, you would be wasting your time trying to use other solutions to fix why YouTube not playing on Safari. So, before moving on to other options on this list, you can determine first whether YouTube's servers are down or not. This issue has occurred recently based on the report from Express Newspapers.
- You can use a website named Down for Anyone or Just Me to check. It employs the "ping" approach to determine whether YouTube is unavailable either at your end or globally.
- Once in the webpage, type "youtube.com"into the empty box and hit the "Return" key on your keyboard.
- If it shows a message on your screen saying "It’s just you. youtube.com is up"; proceed with other solutions listed below.
Test Your Internet Connection
It is advisable to test your internet connection to see if your internet service is weak or having connectivity-related issues. If there’s a problem, it could result in YouTube videos not playing on Safari or any other browser on your Mac. In that case, you should use the Terminal program and the Ping command to see if your internet connection is up and working fine. Here’s how you can do it.
- On your Mac computer, press "Command+Space". Then, type "terminal", hit the "Return" key on your keyboard to open the Terminal app.
- Enter the command below and press the "Return" key.
If it displays positive responses simultaneously, your internet service is working well. However, if it says "Request timed out" or anything similar, you should contact your ISP. Alternatively, the simplest way to test your internet connection is to open another website (such as Google or Bing) on your Mac. If their homepage opens up, then your internet connection is working fine.
Restart Your Mac
This is one of the most basic and highly effective solutions for Safari YouTube videos not playing and other similar issues on your Mac. Restarting your Mac will rest the current power loop and temporary settings. This simple approach can able to resolve related minor issues in a matter of seconds.
Disable/Uninstall Safari Extensions
As a Safari user, you might have already installed some plugins to boost your productivity. Some extensions are designed for YouTube too. However, due to an internal conflict between extensions, it will result in YouTube not loading Safari. We advise that you disable all plugins and check if it resolves the problem. To do this:
- Go to "Safari". Click on the "Preferences" and then "Extensions". Here, disable all the extensions.
- Uncheck all of the checkboxes, close the window, and then try to reaccess YouTube.
Update Your Safari Browser
Safari YouTube videos not playing due to an outdated version of the browser. That’s why it's worth testing to see if your Safari is in the latest version. To update your Safari, kindly follow these steps:
- Go to the "Mac App Store". Then, check to see if your Mac meets the minimum requirements for the most recent Safari update. For example, if you're running High Sierra, your Mac should have at least 2 GB of free memory and 14.3 GB of disk storage.
- Download and install it if all of the requirements are fulfilled.
- Relaunch your Safari and check if you can play YouTube videos properly now.
Disable Content Blocker
The Content Blocker is a Safari unique feature that allows you to authorize or disallow specific content from loading on a site. It is intended to enhance the browsing experience in Safari by blocking unwanted content. The same thing, though, may also ruin your experience. To disable the content blocker, open the YouTube website (even if it doesn't work properly). Go to "Safari" and then "Settings for This Website". From here, uncheck "Enable content blockers."
Clear YouTube Cookies and Cache
If there is a significant change in the browser or YouTube, clearing the cache and cookies can be helpful. This trick can come in handy if you face issues like YouTube videos not playing on Safari and want to recover from a malware/adware attack. To clear YouTube cache on Safari, here's how you do it.
- Open your Safari browser. Click on "Safari" and go to "Preferences."
- Navigate to the "Privacy" tab and hit on the "Manage Website Data" button.
- Find and pick youtube.com from the list, then press the "Remove" button.
- Once done, restart your Safari and check YouTube.
Using a VPN app, whether free or not, can complicate things for you. VPNs allow you to surf the internet anonymously and securely. That is possible because they route your connection from their servers before seeing the content from the website to your computer screen. If the VPN's server is experiencing a technical failure, your connection would be even slower than usual. Thus, you cannot open YouTube, or it will result in Safari not playing YouTube videos.
- Make sure your Safari window is open and active. Navigate to the "Safari" menu in the upper left corner of your screen. Click on it and go to "Preferences."
Tip: Download YouTube Video
Try it for Free
Downloading YouTube videos is one of the get away from dealing with stressful errors from the site. Besides, it saves your time from skipping ads and lets you enjoy the video on your device offline without worrying about the network connection. With that said, allow us to present AceThinker Video Keeper. It is a standalone tool that works perfectly on both Windows and Mac OS. It is also a versatile program that supports batch downloading. It even allows you to convert any YouTube video into various formats like AVI, MP4, MOV, WMV, MP3, and more. Moreover, it is one of the top-rated and best YouTube downloader Mac that gained a lot of good reviews from many users.