YouTube is the most known video-sharing platforms worldwide, with millions of channels and broadcasting content for every palate. It is a great website available online, being used likely by all the users who have access to the internet. YouTube can be forever your first choice for killing time, thanks to its outstanding video service. During your relaxation, you can always turn to YouTube to watch TV shows or listen to music, regardless if you are at work, home, school, or anywhere. However, as a regular YouTube user, we know that you have also faced inconveniences while watching or listening to music. Sometimes, you can encounter different playback errors, like when the YouTube video is green. This problem appears when watching YouTube on your browsers like Chrome and Firefox. Then suddenly, the video turns green, but the audio is okay. This green video screen on YouTube is different but equally annoying, just like other issues that we possibly encounter. But don’t worry, we provided you with different ways to resolve this issue in this article. Continue reading to see more details below.
Hacks to Get Rid of The YouTube Video Green Screen
Before moving on to more difficult troubleshooting methods, try the basic techniques mentioned below. These are easy yet effective ways you can do to avoid video playback issues. They’re usually helpful when you're in a rush to see a tutorial video. After trying each of them, make sure to check if YouTube showing green screen problem was resolved.
- Use a different browser to play the videos.
- When watching YouTube videos online, make sure to close several other browser tabs and windows.
- Clear the browser's cache.
- Delete cookies and temporary files on your computer.
- You should update your browser. Make sure you're using the most recent Chrome, Mozilla, or Internet Explorer update.
- Restart your computer.
Three Methods to Solve YouTube Video Green Screen
As the video playing issue is mainly related to hardware and graphic drivers in the computer devices, more troubleshooting approaches include repairing these. So when the above hacks did not work, and you continue to get YouTube green screen issues, implement the below methods to handle the problem.
Method 1: Disable Hardware Acceleration
Activating hardware acceleration can be pretty useful for any computer user. It can improve the efficiency of your computer. Certain activities become significantly quicker when hardware acceleration is enabled on your browsers. This results in any application running more smoothly. However, hardware acceleration does not always perform as well as it should. Many computer experts believe that this can also be the common cause why the YouTube screen turns green and the root of other screen display issues on your computer. If that's the case, disabling hardware acceleration is what you need to do to help resolve video playback issues.
Steps to disable Hardware Acceleration in different browsers:
For Google Chrome users:
- Launch your Google Chrome browser.
- From the top right corner, click the Chrome menu button and go to the "Settings". Then, click on the "Advanced" drop-down menu.
- Under the “Advanced” menu, navigate to the “System” tab. Here, disable "Use hardware acceleration when available."
- Restart Google Chrome by clicking the "Relaunch" button.
- Now, watch the video. The YouTube green screen problem should now be fixed.
For Microsoft Edge users:
- Search on “Internet Options” on your computer and click “Open”.
- Navigate to the “Advanced” tab, and below the “Accelerated Graphics” section, tick to check the “Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering*” box.
- Click on “Apply” and then “OK” to save changes.
- Open the Microsoft Edge.
- Watch a YouTube video and check if the issue is now fixed.
For Firefox users:
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Hit on the Menu button located in the top-right corner.
- Go to “Options” and navigate to the “General” tab. Scroll down a bit to see “Performance.”
- Here, uncheck the box beside “Use recommended performance settings”. Same with the “Use hardware acceleration when available” option, uncheck the box next to it.
- Restart Firefox and play a YouTube video to check if the problem is resolved.
Method 2: Update your Graphics Card Driver
Device drivers are vital pieces of software that enable your computer's various hardware components to work with one another. When viewing videos online, having outdated system drivers on your computer will cause significant problems with your display and video playback. That can be the reason why suddenly the YouTube screen goes green while you are watching a video. For certain users, updating system drivers fix the problem; however, having them updated automatically is necessary.
Steps to update Graphics Card drivers:
- Search "Device Manager" on your computer.
- Here, click on "Display Adapters."
- Right-click on your graphics driver and tick "Update Driver."
- A window will appear and choose "Search automatically for updated driver software." and let the windows determine your Graphics Card and find its latest driver.
- After that, restart your PC. Then, play the YouTube video again to check if the green screen problem is fixed.
Method 3: Download the Video Using YouTube Downloader
Distinctive Feature: AceThinker Video keeper has a "Detect" function on its built-in browser where the users can download YouTube videos automatically.
Operating System: Windows 7/8/10 | Mac OS X 10.8 or later
If either of the previous methods did not work on your part and the YouTube loading green screen on the video is still occurring, downloading the video is another solution you should consider. Downloading the YouTube video beforehand is one is a practical way and one of the best alternatives to avoid the green screen problem. If you don’t know what tool to use, you can rely on AceThinker Video Keeper. Using this software, you can download videos from tons of websites, including YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, and many popular sites. The tool supports a multi-thread advanced technology that will boost the download process at 3x faster. That’s why you can surely download any HD YouTube videos smoothly with no trouble. Other than that, it also supports batch download on YouTube. So, in just a few clicks, you can now save the playlist of your favorite videos on your computer as many as you want. Thanks to Video Keeper.
Try it for Free
To know how to use the Acethinker Video Keeper, just simply follow the three easy steps provided below:
Step 1 Install the Software
First, grab the tool by clicking the download button that you can see above. Install it on your computer and launch the software afterward.
Step 2 Download the YouTube Video
On the tool’s interface, go to the “Detect” tab. Here, use the built-in browser to access YouTube. Search for the video you want to download and play it. Once the video is playing, hit on the download button in the right corner beneath the video. The downloading process will automatically start. You can check the video by going back to the “Download” panel.
Step 3 Play to Check the Video
Once the video was completely downloaded, navigate to the “Completed” panel. Right-click on the video and select “Play” to check if the YouTube green screen issue is resolved.