Today, YouTube has become an essential part of our lives. As usual, you clicked on the video, and the YouTube video player appeared. You were patiently waiting for the video to load and begin playing. But after a few moments, you've noticed that the video has suddenly shown a "YouTube only sound no video" error on your screen. The YouTube video player was completely black! Encountering this kind of playback issue can be frustrating. As a matter of fact, what you are facing is a common issue that many YouTube users have also experienced. In many instances, the issue persists for a long time, as some users reported. But you don't have to worry about it anymore, because here we have provided you with helpful solutions in resolving the issue. They've helped many YouTube users get their YouTube black screen fixed, so we assure you that they can help you as well.
What Causes YouTube Showing Black Screen
When your YouTube videos are black, the video cannot load for some reason. The issue could be on your end or in the internet service provider (ISP). But, if the probability of the problem is due to your internet service provider or an issue with YouTube. There is nothing you can do about it but wait for them to fix their services first.
Here is the list of the common causes why videos on YouTube showing black screen.
- In most cases, network problems involve this kind of playback issue on YouTube. Having poor internet connectivity can cause you to see a black screen or no picture on the YouTube video you are watching.
- The plug-ins installed on your browser, such as the Adobe Flash player. The program comes pre-installed in several web browsers and is used to embed videos from YouTube and other websites. However, this program is also a contributing factor to the YouTube video black screen problem. Such plug-ins can be corrupt or malfunction that causes the error to occur.
- The Browser Cache is a common cause of the black screen problem. The Browse Cache files appear to clog up the YouTube videos to the point that the video failed to play.
- It could be due to computer issues like bad internet connection or several programs running background why the YouTube screen turns black. In most cases, a quick restart would resolve the issue.
- Other causes of the issue include unavailability of the video in your country or an outdated browser.
Different Methods to YouTube Screen Turns Black
Now that you already know the possible causes of the issue let’s proceed with the best solutions on how we can fix the YouTube video black screen problem.
Method 1: Refresh/Relaunch the Browser
Most of the time, YouTube black screen problems and other similar issues on the platform can be resolved by simply refreshing the page. To do that, hit on the refresh icon on the browser's toolbar or press the F5 key on your keyboard. Besides that, relaunching the browser is another option. You can try and then revisit the YouTube platform and see if the black screen on the YouTube video is now gone.
Method 2: Sign out Your YouTube (Google) Account
When you are watching a video with an account signed in, YouTube showing a black screen usually occurs. So, sign out of your account and play the video again to check if the problem has been fixed. To sign out of your YouTube account, go to the YouTube website and press the "Avatar" in the upper right corner of the page. Then, choose to "Sign out."
Method 3: Speed Test Your Internet Connection
It is necessary to check whether or not you have a dependable and strong network connection. A weak and unstable internet connection can prevent your browser from loading the entire YouTube video. As a result, you will see no picture on YouTube, or in rare cases, you can only hear the audio. Perform a speed test to verify the network connection status. After that, try refreshing the YouTube page to make sure that it is running properly.
Method 4: Make Sure Your Browser Is Updated
To watch videos without facing any YouTube black screen problems, you have to make sure that you are using the latest version of the browser. Depending on the version of the browser, there are many ways to update a browser.
If you're using Google Chrome:
- Go to "More Options" by pressing the three-dot menu icon at the left corner of the browser's interface. Go to "Help" and then "About Google Chrome." Here, check for any available updates.
If you are using Firefox:
- From the upper right corner of the browser, click on the Application menu icon "☰. " Go to "Help" and click on "About Firefox." A new window will appear and automatically update your Firefox browser.
If you are using Microsoft Edge:
- Using your mouse, click the "Menu" button in the upper-right corner of the screen. Then, hover over the "Help and Feedback" menu item list, and a sub-menu will appear. Here, click "About Microsoft Edge." Once clicked, it will automatically start checking if updates are available.
Method 5: Clear Browsing Data and History
When you are using your browser, such as Chrome, it stores information from websites in its cache and cookies. Clearing them eliminates issues from different platforms, such as YouTube showing black screen issues. To avoid the occurrence of the same issue again, we suggest that you clear the browsing data on your browser regularly. You can refer to the guide below to know how to do it. Regardless if you use a browser other than Chrome, you can perform the same process.
- Launch the browser, and on your keyboard, press "Ctrl"+"Shift"+"Delete" keys simultaneously. A new window will pop up right after.
- Here, select the time range at All time for chrome browser, Everything on Firefox browser.
- Once done, hit on the "Clear data" (Google Chrome), "OK" (Mozilla Firefox), "Clear now" (Microsoft Edge) button to begin clearing all the browsing data.
Method 6: Disable AdBlocking Extensions
Most browser plugins can engage and modify the pages you are accessing in your browser. Ad Blocking plugins, for example, will prevent your videos from loading properly if the requisite scripts are blocked. Primarily when YouTube black screen error occurs frequently. Although most ad-blocking extensions operate well with YouTube, it is always a good idea to consider disabling any ad blockers you use. You will be able to do this with a particular tab by going to the extension's settings page. It is also best to uninstall the extensions altogether.
- See the "Extensions" icon from the browser’s top-right corner. Click on it and select the "Manage Extensions" option. From the extensions menu, toggle on the "slider" icon next to your ad blocking extension to disable it.
Method 7: Download the Video Using YouTube Downloader
Another best way that you can do to avoid YouTube video black screen problems is to download the video from YouTube. Doing this will save you from the hassle and allow you to watch YouTube video offline on your devices, such as on mobile phones, whenever you want. However, you cannot download all YouTube videos. In fact, some users do not have a download option due to YouTube restrictions. In that case, we suggest that you use an online video downloader, such as AceThinker Free YouTube Video Downloader. This platform is an all-in-one tool perfect for all your YouTube video downloading demands without downloading any software. With this online tool, you can download all the YouTube videos you want within just simple steps.
- Copy the URL of the YouTube video you want to download.
- Paste it in the search bar and click on the search button.
- The online tool will give you various media file formats and quality output. Select what you prefer and click on the download button. Then, there you have it.