Twitter is a social networking and online microblogging service that has 330 million monthly users worldwide. Within the app, users can post short messages to groups of people, called “tweets.” Other than that, users can also watch and retweet many interesting and humorous videos via computer and mobile phone. Undeniably, this platform has become an integral part of everyday lives. So, facing an issue that interferes with the capability of Twitter videos to play can be frustrating and annoying. That’s why we made this page possible for you to cope up if you happen to face the same issue. Here, we will provide you with an effective solution to fix videos on Twitter not playing on your device. But before proceeding with the solutions, let’s take a look and understand first the possible causes why Twitter video cannot be played. If you’re ready, feel free to scroll down below.
Possible Reasons Why Videos Not Playing on Twitter
Videos on your feed are supposed to autoplay when scrolling through the Twitter app. It will surely not be enjoyable if Twitter videos not playing due to some reasons. So before going through the ways on how you can resolve the problem, let’s first know the culprit causing the problem.
1. Internet Connectivity
One of the most common causes of videos not playing on Twitter is having a faulty internet connection or poor network connection. This usually appears as the never-ending loading symbol.
2. An outdated Twitter app
If you do not update Twitter apps daily, it could create an issue with its functionality, causing a playback problem on your Twitter videos.
3. Incompatible video format
Twitter currently supports only MP4 and MOV video formats on mobile apps. For the web, it supports MP4 video format with H264 format with AAC audio. If the video you’ve uploaded didn’t meet the required formats, this will surely cause videos on Twitter not playing.
4. Outdated browsers
You'll notice that as time passes, developers adopt newer methods, which occasionally displace older browser functions.
5. Data stored on Twitter app or browser
Twitter video problems could be caused by cache memory in the Twitter app and cookies in web browsers. These items must be cleaned on a regular basis. If not done, it can lead to a slew of problems with Twitter access.
How to Fix Twitter Video Not Playing on Android/iPhone
The problem also occurs on mobile devices. So, we also added here possible solutions to fix Twitter videos not playing iPhone/Android devices.
Solution 1. Check Your Network Connection
If you’re facing the same problem due to poor internet connectivity, the best action is to upgrade the network plan. However, if you have a stable internet connection but still Twitter not playing videos on your device, you have to perform a speed test. In this way, you can determine if your connection is getting the maximum amount of data transmitted on your internet bandwidth.
Solution 2. Clear Twitter Cache and Cookies
Twitter’s app for Android and iOS is also like a web-based app or site. It generates a cache of data that can be used to serve you content more quickly and make your experience with the app smoother and faster. Despite that, they can sometimes create issues on the app’s features and functions making Twitter videos not playing on Android or in iPhone devices. Here’s a quick guide on how you can clear Twitter's cache on iOS and Android.
For iOS users:
- Open the Twitter application and tap on the sidebar icon located at the upper right corner of the app’s homepage.
- Next, tap on "Settings and privacy" from the list of options. And then, hit on "Data usage" under "General".
- Here, navigate to the bottom part and tap on either "Media storage" or "Web storage" to clear the respective cache of the Twitter app.
- If you wish to remove the GIF, video, and photo cache from the Twitter app, proceed tapping on the "Media storage". After that, tap "Clear media storage".
- On the other hand, if you choose to tap Web storage. You can proceed clearing it by tapping on Clear all web storage. This will clear all of Twitter's web data cache including cookies and logins.
For Android users:
- Go to the "Settings" of your Android phone and tap on the "Apps & notifications".
- You'll see the Twitter under "Recently opened apps" if you’ve recently used it. If not, tap on the "See all apps" option and find the Twitter app.
- After that, tap on "Storage & cache" and then "Clear cache".
Solution 3. Update Twitter to Its Latest Version
Check your phone if it supports the latest version of the app. It is possible to say that the videos on Twitter not playing because of its outdated system. The best solution to fix the problem is to update the Twitter app by going to the App Store. Then, tap on Update if it’s available.
How to Fix Twitter Video Not Playing in Chrome
When using Twitter on a web browser, there are also potential issues that we can encounter, such as the Twitter video playback issue. If you're using Chrome as your browser, check out the solutions below for resolving the issue.
Solution 1. Upload Compatible Video Format
Like what we have mentioned above, one possible reason why your Twitter videos not playing Chrome is probably due to incompatible video format. If that’s so, make sure to check your video first before uploading it into the Twitter web browser. The video should be in MP4 video format with H264 format with AAC audio. If the video you are going to upload is not yet in the required format, you have to use an online MP4 converter tool to make it MP4. Here’s a simple guide on how to convert your video to MP4.
- Open the link that was given above. Click on the "Select files to start" to download the launcher and install it on your computer.
- Once installed, it will automatically open your file explorer. Here, look for the video you want to convert and hit "Open".
- Next, choose "MP4" as a video format. Click on the "Convert" icon and a file explorer will show up. Here, select the output folder of your video and hit "OK".
- The video will then immediately start converting into MP4. After that, you can now upload the video in the Twitter web browser without having a video playback issue.
Solution 2. Update your Chrome Browser
Apart from updating your Twitter app, your browser also needs to be frequently updated so pages will function well. Updating your browser is important to avoid problems like what we are dealing with here. When a new version of Google Chrome is available, it will automatically update. However, if you haven't closed your browser in a while, you must update it by yourself. To do it, simply go to More Options by pressing the three-dot menu icon at the left corner of the browser's interface. Go to Help and then About Google Chrome. Here, check for any available updates.
Solution 3. Clear Browsing Data and History
Your browser, such as Chrome, saves information from websites in its cache and cookies when you use it. Clearing these solves problems on several sites, such as videos on Twitter not playing. To avoid the recurrence of the problem, we recommend that you clean your browser's browsing data regularly. You can follow the instructions below to learn how to do it.
- On your Chrome browser, go to "Settings". Then, navigate to the "Privacy and Security section".
- Scroll down and select "Clear browsing data". At the top, select the time range at "All time".
- Tick on the box of the "Browsing history", "Cookies and other site data", and "Cached images and files".
- Once done, click "Clear data" to begin clearing the browsing data of your browser.
Solution 4. Download The Twitter Video
Consider downloading the video if you still can't play Twitter videos on Chrome. By doing this, it will save you from the hassle of dealing with the problem. It will also allow you to enjoy the video offline on your computer or mobile device anytime you want. If you don't know which tool to use, don't worry. We have provided you here with a reliable Twitter video downloader called AceThinker Video Keeper. One of the excellent features of this tool is it can download any videos playing in its background. This is possible because of its 'Detect' function equipped with a built-in browser that automatically allows users to browse and download from it. Furthermore, it will allow you to download 8K video from Twitter and into other supported sites, including YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Vimeo, and more. With that said, see the simple guide below on how to use it.
Try it for Free
Step 1 Install the Twitter Video Downloader
By clicking the download button above, you can begin your free trial. Check your computer OS to download the correct installer. When the download is complete, run the setup wizard to install the application. After the installation is complete, execute the program.
Step 2 Download the Twitter Video
Next, go to the Twitter web page and get the video link you want to download. Once done, return to the Twitter downloader and hit the button that says "Paste URL" to begin downloading the video.
Step 3 Play the Video Offline
Once done, navigate to the "Completed" panel. From here, you will see the downloaded Twitter video. Double-click on it to start playing the video.